I have a testimony in Jesus Christ and in Heavenly Father. I know that they love me so much they established a plan that allows me to return to live with them. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith, I know Heavenly Father restored the gospel through him. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and his love for me. I have a testimony of Thomas S. Monson. I know he is a living prophet and through him we receive guidance from our Father in Heaven. I know going on my mission is the right thing to do, I want to become a tool in the hands of the Lord. I know that Fort Lauderdale is the place I am supposed to go and the Lord will help me on my path. I know families can be together forever, that I will be able to see my grandmother and other relatives that have passed on when I too leave this world and return to Him.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Park

Monday, June 16, 2014

Letter From The President, June 16, 2014....

Dear Missionaries,
A quick reminder of our opportunity to go to the Temple on the ** of the month. The following is the times for the sessions:
·                    Fort Lauderdale & Miami Zones
·                   Coral Springs & Miami Beach Zones
·                      Hialeah & Palm Beach Zones
·                        Stuart & Homestead Zones
We will have Temple clothes at the Temple. Please come 40 minutes early to get the correct size and to prepare to start on time (don’t come earlier). Elders, please wear your long sleeve white shirt and bring your white pants, tie and socks. We will meet after and take a photo in front of the Temple after each session. Because of time and efficiency, we need all missionaries to speedily depart after the pictures.

I love the Hymn, “High On The Mountain Top” because of many reasons. It was written by my Great, Great Uncle, Joel Johnson, and I love the lyrics that inspire us of “The Mountain of The Lord”, the Temple:
“High on the mountain top
A banner is unfurled.
Ye nations, now look up;
It waves to all the world.
In Deseret's sweet, peaceful land,
On Zion's mount behold it stand!”  

That banner on top of the mountain of course is the Temples of God. As I reflect on the email of President Kimball’s, “Give me this mountain, give me these challenges”, I am impressed with the imagery of “mountains”. There is something sacred and symbolic when “Mountains” have been referred to in the scriptures. Isaiah prophesied and saw the Temples in our day “in the top of the mountains”:

“And it shall come to pass in the last days, when the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills, and all nations shall flow unto it... And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.” (2 Nephi 12:2-3)(Isaiah 2:2-3)

Nephi received sacred things as he was carried away to the mountain, according to his faith:
“For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot... And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying: Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the earth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired.”  (1 Nephi 11:1,6)

Christ went to the mountain to converse with past prophets who held the keys of past dispensations and sacred works:
 “And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them... And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus... And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved son: hear him.” (Mark 9:2,4,7)

Moses received the “Law of God”, the Ten Commandments, along with other sacred teachings at the top of a mountain (Moses 1:1-2)

Daniel saw the restoration of the Gospel cut from the stone of a mountain and rolled forth throughout the world. (Daniel 2:34-45) 

President Faust tells the story of “The Little Engine that Could” and how a train engine was pulling cars full of all kinds of goodies for the children up a mountain. The train broke down and tried to ask other engines to help. Some thought it was beyond them; others said they were too tired and others said they could not make it:

“Then a little blue engine came down the track, and she was asked to pull the cars over the mountain to the children on the other side. The little engine responded, ‘I’m not very big. … They use me only for switching in the yard. I have never been over the mountain.’ But she was concerned about disappointing the children on the other side of the mountain if they didn’t get all of the goodies in the cars. So she said, ‘I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.’ And she hooked herself to the little train. ‘Puff, puff, chug, chug, went the Little Blue Engine. ‘I think I can—I think I can—I think I can—I think I can—I think I can—I think I can—I think I can.’ With this attitude, the little engine reached the top of the mountain and went down the other side, saying, ‘I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could. I thought I could.’” (President James E. Faust, General Conference, October 2002)

I believe we have many inspiring traits of the little engine but what I hear from each of you is a surge of faith that say’s “I know I can, I knew I could, I will”.

Telling God what you are prepared to do for his blessing is evident of “I know I can, I knew I could, I will”:

“We took your invitation to create an if/then statement and take it to the Lord. Our statement was if we get 15 people committed to church by Saturday night, wilt thou bless us with 5 investigators at Sacrament! We went out this week and worked super hard. We saw a lot of miracles and were very blessed and by Saturday Night we had exactly 15 people committed to church. We went out Sunday Morning before church and did our round up and no one was answering! We continued to work hard. We went out with a member and went to pick up an investigator and her granddaughter who had both committed to come to church. When we knocked the door, the Grandma opened the door all dressed in her Sunday best and said that they were still getting ready and that we should wait for them. A minute later her Husband (who had never been interested in meeting with us) came out of the bedroom dressed in his Sunday best and following him were all their little grandchildren. All of them came to church and had an amazing experience! The fellowship from the ward was amazing! They felt the spirit and all of them are preparing to be baptized this weekend! What an amazing blessing! God blessed us so much after we did everything in our power that we could do!”

Opening our mouths to everyone is evident of “I know I can, I knew I could, I will”:

“So we went to our harvesting spot and said a prayer agreeing we would talk to the first person we saw. We jump out of the car and head for a man walking along the street and he oyms us before we could say a word! We get to know him a bit and testify that Jesus Christ loved him. He got really surprised and said, ‘How did you know I love God!?’ He then opens up about a few struggles and challenges he had been facing in his life. We decided not to miss this amazing miracle and share a scripture about how we all must follow Christ and be baptized. He accepts and says, ‘I promise I'll be there!’ Then he goes and grabs his beer and, while dumping it in the trash, says he will never drink again! The next day after overcoming a bunch of doubts he told us those famous words, ‘Tell me anything and I'll believe all your words. I know you were sent from Jesus Christ.’” 

Following the promptings of God and answering prayers of others is evident of “I know I can, I knew I could, I will”:

“...  we knew that we were supposed to be on that certain street. We heard a noise come from a house and felt like we needed to be there. When we went to the house the door was open and 2 boys were playing a video game in the front room. We asked if they could get their mom or dad for us. In a couple of minutes a man came out. We introduced ourselves as ‘Representatives of Jesus Christ’ and stated that we were there to leave the Saviors peace and blessing with him and his family. He stared at us like we were from another planet! He immediately got his wife and asked if we knew each other and if we were playing a joke on him. I was pretty confused until they explained the situation. He did not believe there was a God. He actually told his wife (the day before) that when God sends him a sign, then he will believe in Him. His wife started fasting that day that God would give her husband a sign and we showed up the next day! They actually came to church on Sunday! He has changed so much in the week that we have known him. The gospel changes lives!”

Elder Bruce R. McConkie  shares a wonderful vision of our quest up the Mountain:

“We stand today on a mountain peak, on a majestic, glorious peak in the midst of the mountains of Israel. To gain this height, we have climbed over peaks of peace and trudged through the valleys of despair... Below us lie the deserts of sin and the forests of evil; below us stretch the swamps of carnality and the plains of passion; below us rage the roaring rivers of war and hate and crime, through all of which we have struggled to reach this summit... Above us, stretching crest on crest, are yet greater and grander peaks. Each one is rimmed with rivers and forests and cliffs and crags. There are deep canyons and steep precipices.
Our onward course will not be easy. The way ahead will be blocked by a landslide of lasciviousness; an avalanche of evil will bury the trail... As we trudge forward, sharp rocks will cut our feet; rivers of lava will melt the soles of our sandals; and we shall be hungry and thirsty and faint. The way ahead will be hard and the path rugged...Far in the distance stands Mount Zion, the grandest peak of all... We see the elders of the kingdom going forth to many nations, crying repentance, gathering Israel, and assembling the faithful in the tops of the mountains where stands the house of the Lord.
We see converts and stakes and temples. Gifts and signs and miracles abound. The sick are healed and the dead are raised by the power of God, and the work of the Lord goes forward.... we know that our work is in the living present and our glorious destiny lies ahead.
From the top of the peak where the soles of our feet now tread, we can look forward, crest upon crest, to the Zion of God which one day will be ours if we walk in the course charted by those who have gone before... But what we can see causes us to rejoice ...We rejoice because of the glory and honor that awaits those who come forth out of all this tribulation with clean hands and pure hearts (see Psalms 24:4). (Elder Bruce R. McConkie, General Conference, April 1980)
Missionaries, “Prepare This Week for the Temple!”
Let us be resolute to achieve 175 Baptisms !!! June is now our Vision month! We need 200 dates and 200 I@S. All must contribute! You are Amazing!!! You are Incredible!!! You are Wonderful!!! And you are in the “Exciting Legendary Mission”!!! Remember our promise and that our names have been sealed in the Temple!!!
We Love you, We Pray For You, Elders and Sisters, We can do this!!! We have work to do!!! “I know I can, I knew I could, I will!!!”



President Don E. Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment