I have a testimony in Jesus Christ and in Heavenly Father. I know that they love me so much they established a plan that allows me to return to live with them. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith, I know Heavenly Father restored the gospel through him. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and his love for me. I have a testimony of Thomas S. Monson. I know he is a living prophet and through him we receive guidance from our Father in Heaven. I know going on my mission is the right thing to do, I want to become a tool in the hands of the Lord. I know that Fort Lauderdale is the place I am supposed to go and the Lord will help me on my path. I know families can be together forever, that I will be able to see my grandmother and other relatives that have passed on when I too leave this world and return to Him.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Park

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Letter From The President, March 23, 2014....

Dear Missionaries,

I am enclosing the music “Faith in Every Footstep” for you to download (MP3 file) and learn if this will help you do so for the “Cultural Event”. This will be the second to the last song and we will remain standing in our places to sing “High on the Mountain Top” Hymn # 5 which is the finale. Please learn this Hymn as well. We will descend along the sides of the mezzanine instead of in front of the General Authorities. We will talk about other details later, but please learn these songs.

With the Temple dedication at our doorstep, there is much to do and prepare for as missionaries. The power that has and will come because of this Temple influence will bring about a tremendous Spirit and many miracles. It will bless us with not only power, but also knowledge and understanding of the “mysteries of the kingdom”:

And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the keys of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God. Therefore, in the odinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest... For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.” (D&C 84:19-20,22)

When Joseph Smith dedicated the Kirtland Temple, he certainly saw our day:

And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them; And from this place they may bear exceedingly great and glorious tidings, in truth, unto the ends of the earth, that they may know that this is thy work, and that thou hast put forth thy hand, to fulfil that which thou hast spoken by the mouths of the prophets, concerning the last days.” ( D&C 109:22-23)

This scripture helps us understand why we need to receive the ordinances of the Temple before we are set apart and sent out as missionaries, full time “Representatives of Jesus Christ”. We go forth “armed with power”, with His name upon us, bearing “great and glorious tidings” to the world. What a wonderful opportunity and blessing as the Temple ordinances aid us is in this responsibility.

Part of that power comes from obedience, which are important instructions and covenants that we learn and make in the Temple. When I was a Stake President, we had a beautiful Temple built in Juarez, Mexico in the year 2000 that was only about 22 minutes from our home. What a Great blessing it was not to have to travel 7 hours or 400 miles before this Temple was built. Several years later, the drug cartels in Mexico began to declare war on the government and on each other and Juarez quickly became the most dangerous city in the world with an average of 15 murders a day. Our city, El Paso, Texas still maintained its status of the second safest city in the United States, so we felt safe and protected. Many of the Saints refused to go to this city across the border in fear of their safety and the intimidation of military soldiers with their machine guns, and tanks lined along the roads. I felt inspired to tell our members that if they went straight to the Temple and back, (no shopping, eating, stopping) that The Lord would protect them. Gradually the volume of Saints going to the Temple began to grow and we never had any incidence even to this day. I know the Lord protected us as we remained obedient to His promise, and the blessings of the Temple gave the entire area a surge of power.

I know as we utilize this influence that each of us have access to from the Temple, and remain obedient in all that God and his leaders have asked of us, we will be “armed” with God’s power. Obedience will help steer us through “unchartered seas” as President Monson has taught:

“There is no need for you or me in this enlightened age, when the fulness of the gospel has been restored, to sail uncharted seas or travel unmarked roads in search of a ‘fountain of truth’... For a living Heavenly Father has plotted our course and provided an unfailing map — obedience” (Strength through obedience, Ensign, July 1996).

President Hinckley teaches us the importance to stay obedient, even when it “may not be to our liking or fit in with our ideas”:
“I give you my witness that the leaders of this Church will never ask us to do anything that we cannot perform with the help of the Lord... We may feel inadequate. That which we are asked to do may not be to our liking or fit in with our ideas. But if we will try with faith and prayer and resolution, we can accomplish it... I give you my testimony that the happiness of the Latter-day Saints, the peace of the Latter-day Saints, the progress of the Latter-day Saints, the prosperity of the Latter-day Saints, and the eternal salvation and exaltation of this people lie in walking in obedience to the counsels of the priesthood of God” (“If Ye Be Willing and Obedient,” Ensign, December 1971).
Armed with the Power of God and obedience to Him in inviting everyone:
“The guy who was taking our orders [at Taco Bell] asked us who we were and we told him that we were missionaries and we share messages about Jesus...  I felt like I might as well give that guy a chapel card and invite him to church so I grabbed one in the car... walked inside and gave the him a chapel card and invited him to be baptized and he accepted...  My thoughts the rest of the week turned to our investigators and the people we were preparing to be baptized for us that weekend. Come Sunday I walk into sacrament about 10 minutes early right after getting people up for church and driving 30 minutes to the chapel and guess who is there? The Taco Bell guy!  He only had $2.50 to catch the bus to church from where he lived to the church and said he was going to just walk home after, which was a 2 and a half hour walk! Now that is showing major FAITH! We got him a ride home and he is preparing to be baptized next Sunday.”
Armed with the Power of God and obedience to Him in helping everyone keep commitments:
 “We taught our investigator Fred the word of wisdom. As we focused on the doctrine linking that to his desire of receiving the Holy Ghost he was motivated into change, thanks to the Spirit. We came back the next day and a note was on the door. ‘Sisters don't leave me. Please come back tomorrow. I will be at my uncles house,’ was plastered on it. When we were in the parking lot Fred was on his way out telling us that he has not had a single cigarette or coffee. Fred went the extra mile and went on Mormon.org watching tons of videos (in which we never even mentioned), and read scriptures we did not ask him to read. In his own words, he wanted to feel the "feeling" that he felt when we first prayed with him. He was baptized yesterday by our Bishop. As the opportunity was given Fred bore his testimony and told everyone that since we have shared the gospel, he feels like he could breathe. The tightness in his heart is now relieved. From the ashtray in the dumpster after the 2nd lesson, to kicking his friend (bad influence) out after the 1st lesson ETC... all on his own. He was able to change through the Atonement that he now fully has access to. The Lord went before us and fulfilled His promise as we prayed that night we found him, asking the Lord to place someone who is prepared to receive us.”
Armed with the Power of God and obedience to Him to know God will compensate for our diligence:
“Obviously, God is greater than us. For us to be like Him, we must also pass through our own trials and tribulations. If you picture it, when we walk/run/sprint uphill, it is not easy. There is a lot of resistance, but by the time you get to the top of the hill, you are stronger than you were at the bottom. Our trials lead us to the Lord and if we are not going the Lords way we are going downhill. This week as I was on an exchange ... we were able to experience the law of compensation. We had not really found anyone off of our own finding this week, but we were extremely diligent and we received a call from the Assistants (who were also on an exchange...exchange miracles!). We couldn't answer so they left a voice mail that said this, ‘We have our friend Tom who wants to talk to you.’ (and then Tom got on) ‘Hi, I just can't wait to tell you about how good God is. Come and see me anytime. I want to be baptized.’ It was such an amazing miracle! God is good!”
President Monson taught that obedience in a challenging and complex world will simplify our lives and give us additional knowledge and answers to our questions:
"We learn obedience throughout our lives. Beginning when we are very young, those responsible for our care set forth guidelines and rules to ensure our safety. Life would be simpler for all of us if we would obey such rules completely. …The knowledge which we seek, the answers for which we yearn, and the strength which we desire today to meet the challenges of a complex and changing world can be ours when we willingly obey the Lord’s commandments.”
He then added that obedience is what has given prophets their knowledge and power:
"Obedience is a hallmark of prophets; it has provided strength and knowledge to them throughout the ages... It is essential for us to realize that we, as well, are entitled to this source of strength and knowledge.” (President Thomas S. Monson, General Conference, April 2013)
Joseph Smith simply said:
"I made this my rule: When the Lord commands, do it” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, p. 160).
 Missionaries, Let's Do It!!!

Our resolution is to achieve 175 Baptisms !!! March can be our miracle month!!! We need to keep the increase in Dates and I@S! We need 200 dates and 200 I@S this week. All must contribute!
You are Amazing!!! You are Incredible!!! You are Wonderful!!! And you are in the “Exciting Mission”!!! Remember our promise and that our names will be sealed in the Temple!!!
We Love you, We Pray For You, Elders and Sisters, We can do this!!! We have work to do!!! “Armed with the Power of God, Let’s Do It!!!”


President Don E. Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment