I have a testimony in Jesus Christ and in Heavenly Father. I know that they love me so much they established a plan that allows me to return to live with them. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith, I know Heavenly Father restored the gospel through him. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and his love for me. I have a testimony of Thomas S. Monson. I know he is a living prophet and through him we receive guidance from our Father in Heaven. I know going on my mission is the right thing to do, I want to become a tool in the hands of the Lord. I know that Fort Lauderdale is the place I am supposed to go and the Lord will help me on my path. I know families can be together forever, that I will be able to see my grandmother and other relatives that have passed on when I too leave this world and return to Him.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Park

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Snail Mail Letter October 21, 2013...

Hello~

Well, this week has been interesting! We had Elder Dallin H. Oaks come to our mission conference! That was SO cool! He talked on the importance of exercise both physical and spiritual. He talked on the importance of marriage and the Temple. Committed us all to wait no more than a year and a half to get married (Are you FREAKIN' kidding me?!?!? I already made him promise to wait until age 25!) and to continue to write letters to our recent converts to encourage them to go to the Temple!

But I think I am becoming a girl, too, Mom!(I told him that I have become such a girl since he left, I am crying all the time!) We sang at the closing of the conference "The Armies Of Helaman" and the spirit was SO strong! I got super emotional and it made me just really think about what I was doing! I have definitely been taught in my youth and by 2 loving parents and a whole gaggle of others! And I want to thank you! Dad, I now know why Bishop Workman thinks so highly of you! The more I think back, the more I recognize how guided you are. I keep thinking of that time we were at a Reams and this old guy asked you for directions and you gave them to him, then we left, but when we got to the car you said "I should have drawn him a map" and then you did! You acted on  it and went back. I want to thank you for that! And Mom, you have always got a way to make whoever you are talking to feel like the most important person in the world! That amazes me! I want to be like that! And that was probably the most spiritual moment/epiphany I have ever had!

After the song Elder L*** leaned over and told me we had to go out in the hall as soon as the prayer was over, but Pres Anderson told us to stay in our seats so they could have a speedy exit with Elder Oaks. I figured he must have a good reason, so I followed him out. He told me once we were outside that while we were in line to shake Elder Oaks hand, he had the impression to hug him, but decided  it was inappropriate in front of all the missionaries. Se he decided now was the best time to do it! So we waited and gave Elder Oaks a HUG! Only later did Elder L*** tell me about how much he had struggled to make that decision. He had prayed about it while we were in the meeting and decided it was the best thing to do. So I got to hug Elder Oaks is really the moral of the story! Which was great! Definitely a highlight of the "mish" so far! There is something really amazing about his eyes. They seem to both tell you how much he loves you and admonish you to do better. Really though, there's a depth and a spirit that is truly amazing there, that is quite the opposite of the Santeros/Santaria Practicing people that we meet from Cuba that get frightened when we show them a picture of Christ! Their eyes are all grey and sunken, Elder Oaks eyes shine with a brightness and a knowledge. When you look in to them, you can feel that he knows Heavenly Father and knows Christ is our Savior. His testimony is evident in them. That was truly AMAZING!

On Sunday we had A LOT of visitors, about 22 people from Utah. A big family reunion, they had planned a Disney Cruise that got cancelled and decided they ought to come to church. And I knew one of the kids! He went to Herriman with me! What a funny small world, right!?!? That my first thought, but them it got stranger! In walked this man that looked SUPER familiar with 2 young daughters that also looked way familiar. We said "hi" and asked if he was with the big group and he said no. So we asked where he was from, he said "Riverton, Utah". So, I then knew where I knew him from, he is M**** B****** DAD from NorthStar!! How strange is that!?!? And he had her 2 younger sisters with him. I couldn't believe it. His wife is the lady that drove me from Seminary to School all of 9th grade. In my little chapel in B*** L******, W*** M****, 2 people from Utah that I knew and with a connection to NorthStar! That was really cool!

Also, this week I had a companion study with Elder R*** one of my Zone Leaders. He is going home at the end of this transfer and wanted to give us all the knowledge he could and I am so excited to grow and become as connected and guided as him. He simplified the teaching pattern and our purpose and how to really work with the elect! He reminded us that because we are all children of God, we all have a little electness in us and that was the problem I had. I could see electness in all of my investigators, but he told us, actually showed us, that it is our teaching skill that chooses what kind of person we should teach. A bad teacher can only teach a good and SUPER elect person. A GREAT Teacher can teach anyone. Right now I'm in the lower middle section, I need to work with more elect people than we were.

But I am definitely enjoying life here! Especially when we are given food with cheese in it because Elder L*** won't eat it so I can get double! He doesn't even like cheesecake (Can you believe that?!?! I didn't know people like this existed.) But the people are just amazing here as long as they are Latin, Black (politically correct?) or from Utah, most of the white people are kinda jerks. I've realized I'm beginning to not like them. hahaha. The other funny thing is that people really think I'm Latin for some reason. I've been asked if I am from Cuba, Argentina or Mexico. Then I try to speak Spanish to them and they realize I am not any of those! hahaha. I think it's just my dark hair.

Anyway, I love it here and am working my hardest! I pray for you all always and miss you a little. I'm busy and I love it!

Stay Strong, Push On!
Love you all,
Elder Park

P.S. Mesh Garments DO NOT work in Florida!!!! I would appreciate some DriLux, please.

LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment